Monday, November 3, 2008

slightly irritated

I'm starting to believe I'm a people magnet too. It's not the brightest thing to do but I sometimes walk around with my headphones in my ears jamming out to my ipod while texting. I look super busy and I thought that would keep people from bothering me at the airport while I'm in uniform. I also wear my own jacket so I look like a normal traveler. It never fails! At least twice a day I get people who walk up to me asking me questions. I can kinda hear what they want but I try my best to act like I didn't hear them. I know it's kind of rude on my part but keep in mind I'm texting, jamming, and walking at the same time and I wish not to be bothered. Hey, I'm not on the clock and they hang those humongous signs everywhere so you don't get lost and easily find what you need. I enjoy my personal time alone after a long chaotic day of passengers in my face. Is this a crime? Most of the time I take an ear bud out and shyly point to the sign in front of our faces. It's not a crime to ask a question because I guess there's no such thing as a stupid question but seriously the airport isn't trying to confuse you on purpose. Another thing that just bugs me is that people don't use manners anymore. I get questions yelled at me and if I don't know the answer I get chewed out. Since when do I have all the answers? Whatever happened to "excuse me"? This reminds me of a time Derek and I drove up to Duluth for a mini vacation and we were walking around downtown doing tourist things and walking around aimlessly because we were fish out of water. Then out of no where we get an old couple who keeps honking their car at us. Of couse we're so confused and shrug our shoulders and continue sightseeing. The honking continues. We cross the street and I guess they were yelling something to us for a while but we were in our own world. We end up making eye contact with the crazy couple and they begin to honk their car horn again and yell at us about directions downtown. We did't even get an "excuse me" or a "sorry to bother you" or even a "do you live around here/familiar with the neighborhood?" They demanded directions and insisted we knew all the answers and programmed some kind of mapquest deal into our ipod. We had confused looks on our faces and told them we didn't live around here and we were sorry we couldn't help. They were furious and drove away fast and angry because it wasn't the answer they wanted. Excuse us!

2 comments:

Derek said...

Irritating isnt it! I have the same problem each day too. Except im not as smart as you by making myself look busy. When I first started working at the airport I was told that peoples intelligence were left at the door when they entered the Airport ready for travel. Of Course i didnt believe it. But Now I know people are so stupid Inside there!!! And, even more so, they are rude! We are the ones that are trying to help them and they treat us Terribly. All I got to say is "Hey, Im not Flying...oops what was in that last bag!" :( Hope its not dangerous

Danielle said...

I think you and Derek are perfect for each other!